After founding and leading MEDNAX for the last 41 years, Roger Medel, MD, has passed the baton on to new leadership. As we welcome our new Chief Executive Officer, Mark Ordan, we take a moment to reflect on our humble beginnings and the significant growth achieved over the last four decades with Dr. Medel at our ship's helm.
When Dr. Medel founded the organization in 1979, the company had a presence in only one state, with one neonatology contract and two physicians. Today, MEDNAX operates in all 50 states, including a nationwide network of more than 3,000 affiliated physicians providing care across 17 subspecialties. Despite the challenging and ever-changing healthcare environment, we have evolved to become a thriving multispecialty medical group recognized for our unmatched patient care and ongoing innovations in clinical research, education, and continuous quality improvement and safety initiatives.
Together, we have accomplished so much:
- Caring for more than one million babies each year
- Screening up to 900,000 babies annually through the Newborn Hearing Screen Program
- Overseeing nearly 25% of the country’s NICU babies and making 1,900 maternal-fetal medicine visits per day in over 400 facilities across 40 states and Puerto Rico
- Establishing the BabySteps® Clinical Data Warehouse, recognized as one of the world’s most robust neonatal databases
- Launching the 100,000 Babies Campaign, which continues to drive critical improvements in neonatal care on a national scale
- Applying the High Reliability Organization (HRO) Patient Safety Initiative across the continuum of care, proven to enhance patient outcomes
- Implementing multispecialty simulation programs that improve clinical skill and ultimately, patient safety
- Leading industry-wide innovation initiatives spanning artificial intelligence, genomics, and telehealth
Thank you, Dr. Medel, for your unwavering guidance. We have made enormous strides toward our vision to be the leading provider of healthcare solutions. Our commitment to our mission to Take great care of the patient, every day and in every way™ will remain the driving force as we continue to innovate and enhance the standard of care we are known for today.
Please enjoy this tribute video with messages from several of Dr. Medel’s colleagues >
Can't find time to read? Listen instead!